Thursday, May 21, 2015

Summertime Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Every time we would go and visit my mother's mom, Gammy, she would make us kids her famous chocolate cake, and my Dad a Rhubarb Pie.  I never cared for the rhubarb pie mainly because it was so tart and I was too busy with her chocolate cake, but oh how things have changed.  Fast forward 20 years and I decided to make a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie for my Dad's birthday.  
It was THE. BEST. PIE. EVER.  Now, as the weather starts heating up, my husband starts putting in his requests for the pie.


This past weekend, we went to the NC State Farmer's Market to pick up some Strawberries and decided it was warm enough to make the first strawberry rhubarb pie of the summer. Here is the recipe that I use and have tweaked over the years.  Let me know what you think.  

3 cups Fresh Strawberries, sliced
3 cups Rhubarb, cut into 1- inch pieces
3/4 cup Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp. Lemon Juice
4 tbsp. Quick-Cooking (Instant) Tapioca
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces. 
2 Frozen deep dish ready made pie crusts

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Pie Filling
Toss the fruit with the Sugar, Vanilla Extract, Lemon Juice and Tapioca in a large bowl.  Let stand for 15 minutes. 


Prepare pie crusts, (Now you can make your own, but this is where "nobody's got time for that" comes in. 
Pour filling into one of the crusts
Scatter butter pieces over the filling 

Place the other pie crust on top
Put the pie on a cookie sheet and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes
Turn the heat down to 350 and continue to back for another 30-40 minutes or until juices bubble and crust turns brown.
We always spoon a little locally made Vanilla ice cream on top, but for some reason this time Front Porch Praline Crunch found its way into my shopping bag, (I could have sworn I grabbed Vanilla).  But it was actually even better than regular vanilla. 
ENJOY!  

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!