Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Freedom Hot Air Balloon Fest

 I'm not really one for heights, and actually the thought of being 100 feet in the air is making my hands sweat as I type, but I always thought a hot air balloon ride would be fun.  I think its the romantic in me that wants to do it.  

Saturday evening, we made out way to the Freedom Hot Air Balloon Festival here in Raleigh.  Scott had reservations about it the whole time.  He basically didn't want to go, but as soon as we walked on the field, he completely changed his mind.  

Neither of us had ever been that close to hot air balloons, and Let me tell you, it was simply gorgeous!


Fiona would have been happy being a mile away from the balloons, she loved looking and pointing at them, but the noise freaked her out.  She spent most of the time sitting in my lap and hunkering down everytime they turned the gas on.  Bless her heart!


We packed up a cooler full of drinks and snacks and had a little picnic dinner while we watched.  It just so happened, some of the other firefighters were out there as well, so we met up with them to watch the show.





One of my clients helped with one of the balloons, and asked if I wanted a ride.  I tried to pawn it off on Scott, but he insisted.  If there had not been 800+ people around, it would have been one of the most peaceful things I've ever done. Scariest, but peaceful.  It was amazing to feel the slightest little air current push and pull the balloon.  I would probably do it again, but next time somewhere where there are no trees or obstacles to fly around.



They finished the festival with a balloon glow.  At the same time, all of the hot air balloons turned their flames up which made the whole balloon light up.  If there is ever a hot air balloon festival in your town, I highly recommend you go, definitely something we will never forget.  

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!